(Note, you may want a fast network connection for this.)
- cd into the main directory of the Gentoo git checkout:
$ cd ~/Gentoo/gentoo
- fetch 2GByte of converted cvs history into a new local branch "history-20150809-draft"
$ git fetch https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo-gitmig-20150809-draft.git master:history-20150809-draft
- attach the last commit of the cvs history to the first commit of the new git era
$ echo 56bd759df1d0c750a065b8c845e93d5dfa6b549d 2ebda5cd08db6bdf193adaa6de33239a83a73af0 > .git/info/graftsAnd done. :)
Should at some point in the future a new, improved (or "official") conversion of the cvs history become available, here's (untested) what to do:
- fetch it in the same way into a new local cvs history branch, and
- modify the grafts file to now connect the last commit of the new local cvs history branch with the first commit of the git era.
Thanks to rich0 for providing the draft conversion (though inofficial so far) and to everyone else involved.